How did you use media
technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
During this
course I used numerous software, programmes and websites but during different
stages of the project. They all varied in terms of what they offered and the
complexity in the tools.
While doing the
research tasks I used the Internet quite a bit in order to search for the
relevant information. I used sites such as Slideshare and Prezi to find out
what kind of information previous students included and to get some ideas when
I did mine. I also used those sites to present my work to put onto Blogger
which is another website that I used as a research tool. Blogger helped me the
most in terms of quality and quantity of each research task. I was told which
previous students’ blog were exceptionally good and that I should use them as a
guide which is what I did. Furthermore, YouTube was a key website that I used
throughout the entire course. During the research task I used YouTube in order
to complete the task of existing products and products that I admire. Other
general websites I used was Google, Facebook and Twitter. Facebook and Twitter
helped me to find out information about the artist.
During the
planning stage, I used a few new programmes such as Celtx. I used this to write
out of the script. The programme made it easier to layout the script properly. I
also used Adobe Premiere Pro to create the mood board. I was quite happy that I
used Adobe Premiere Pro to do this as it was extra practise before I started
editing the music video. Other than
those programmes, I used similar software to the research tasks as well as
Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Word.
In terms of what
hardware was used during the research and planning stage, nothing extravagant
was used except a computer or laptop as well as my phone to post on to Blogger.
However the main hardware was utilised during the construction stage, whilst creating
the actual music video. During this stage I used a Canon 550D Camera with a
tripod for easy manoeuvre for the camera with balanced focus. Within the camera
there was other hardware that was in use as well, such as an SD Card to hold
the footage when filming. The SD card was 16GB so it allowed me to hold quite a
bit of footage. I used an 18-55mm lens to film for my music video which is
casted as another piece of hardware. When I was filming in the studio a lot
more hardware was present. To make the filming more effective I used studio
lights to have the correct lighting. Additionally I used the green screen so
that is another hardware to add to the list.
During the
editing stage, I was using more complex software which was Adobe Premier Pro
and Adobe After Effects. Adobe Premier Pro I was a bit familiar with it, as I
have used it previously during GCSE as well as putting videos such as the mood
board together. Adobe Premier Pro allowed me to cut footage and put it in the
right place along to the song. I was able to add different transitions with different
layers. One of the main tools I used throughout was the Razor Tool. This
allowed me to cut a single clip into several different clips. I also used the
Chroma key effect to remove the green screen. However the Chroma key did not
get rid of all the green and I was therefore advised to use another software
called Adobe After Effects. This was a much more multifarious software with a
lot more to do.
On Adobe After
Effects I removed the green screen more effectively and I also added different
effects on the backgrounds. As it was one big clip I had to break it apart into
its original individual clips so I can add different effects to different
parts. I could have left it as one big on however it would have been a very
tedious job to get each effect in the frame.
To remove the
green screen I used the tool KeyLight 1.2 under the menu Effects. I then picked
up all the green using the colour picker tool. I fiddled around with the colour
matte tool until the background was black and the main model was white. I would
then turn off the colour matte and put it on final result. To get different
background effects I rummaged through the effects menu and tried to find
effective effects to put as my background. Some looked really effective however
some looked tacky.
Some effects were
too big and bold on the model so I created a duplicate layer and put the
effects on the behind layer so you can still see them but just not as big.
I also created a
magazine advert and digipak. I found this quite easy as I was using the same
software as last year when I created the magazine. I used Adobe InDesign and
Adobe Photoshop. Adobe Photoshop is the programme I used to edit my images. I
used a number of tools to get my images to the way I wanted them. The main tool
I used was the colour range tool which removed the white background and
anything else which I didn't want in the final image.
Another tool I
used was the adjustment tool. This tool gave me a lot of options in order to improve
image colour or brightness. I used this tool to change the colour of my model
to 3 different colours; red, blue, green and its original black for the
landscape magazine advert. Another way I used the adjustment tool was when I
brightened the main image on the portrait magazine advert. I also used it to
brighten up inside image of the digipak so it looks redder rather than a
maroon.
Furthermore, a
tool that was really effective in images was the refine edge tool. This allowed
me to feather the edge and smoothen it so my editing didn't show at all or as
much especially when it wasn't too neat.
Adobe InDesign is
where I actually created the magazine adverts and digipak. Adobe InDesign CS6
had a feature where I could layout out all 3 creations within on document. I
found this quite easy as it was all linked to one another. So if I was to
change something on the portrait magazine advert it will change it on the
landscape magazine advert as well. This allowed me to keep consistency between
the 3 tasks.
Another thing I
found useful and convenient is the Swatches. This made it easier to select the
colours that I wanted to use throughout my magazine adverts and digipak. For
example I wanted to use a particular shade of red so I added it to my Swatches
to have an easier access to the colour rather than trying to find it in the
colour picker.
Another tool is
the FX Tool. This tool is also in Adobe Photoshop but as Adobe InDesign is the
programme I used the most so therefore I used the FX Tool a lot more in Adobe
InDesign. In the FX Tool I used bevel and emboss for the reviews in my magazine
adverts. I used the bevel and emboss effect as it made text look really
effective.
Overall
technology has made a huge impact on all of my work. I had a variety of technology
available for me to use and it allowed me produce the best quality.
No comments:
Post a Comment